Home of The Beautiful Tasmanian Nut
One of Stanley’s most prominent tourist attractions is The Nut, the remnants of an ancient volcanic plug, rising 143 metres
Settled in the late 1820s as Circular Head by the Van Dieman’s Land Company in an attempt to farm Merino wool on a large scale, Stanley was renamed in 1882 after Lord Stanley who served three terms as British Prime Minister in the 1830s and 1840s. Stanley is the second largest town on the far north west coast after Smithton.
The views of the Tasmanian coast line and surrounding areas from The Nut are well worth a look
Stanley is now a popular Tasmanian tourism destination and the primary fishing port for the north west region. One of Stanley’s most prominent tourist attractions is The Nut, which is the remnants of a volcanic plug rising 143 metres, with steep sides and a flat top. The Nut is accessible via both a walking track (which is quite steep) and a chairlift. The views of the Tasmanian coast line and surrounding areas from The Nut are well worth a look.
Stanley is a great place to take time out after a long drive, there’s a café and boutique shops and art gallery as well as a Westpac Bank branch and providore full of fine Tasmanian gifts and fine food.
Stanley is also on the doorstep of the Tarkine wilderness which is Australia’s largest cool temperate rainforest and host to many ancient species of flora and fauna. The Tarkine can be experienced in many different ways including the Tarkine drive, walks and trails. And if you’re planning to hire bikes from AutoRent the Tarkine is a great place to take them.