We respect your privacy and are committed to protecting the personal data we hold about you. This policy explains what data we collect about you and how we do this, together with how we store and use your personal data. When you request services from us or access our website, you consent to our collection, retention and use of your personal data in the manner described in this policy and you accept the risks outlined in the Security section.
We hope this policy answers your questions about our collection and use of your personal data. If it does not, or if you have any questions, please contact us by following this link contact us.
We may change this policy from time to time. If we do so, the amended policy will take effect when we post it on our website. We will amend the “last updated” notice on this page whenever we make a change.
This policy covers the personal data we collect about you for our vehicle and equipment rental business. It does not cover data which does not personally identify you, such as aggregated anonymous data. We are free to use non-personal data as we wish. We do not knowingly obtain personal data from individuals under the age of 13 years.
Who we are
We are AutoRent Pty Ltd, the Sublicensee for Tasmania (Australia) of Hertz International. We operate a vehicle rental and sales business.
We operate a network of locations in the provision of our services throughout the State of Tasmania in Australia.
We aim to comply with the privacy laws applicable to the personal data we collect and use.
We collect a range of data about you from a variety of sources for the purposes of our business. The examples we provide here are illustrative rather than a complete list of our practices.
What we collect
We collect the data we need to provide the services you request from us, which may include:
- Name, address and contact details, such as telephone and mobile number, and email address
- Date and place of birth and driver’s licence number
- Credit card information
- Affiliations with associations or cities
- Location data such as geographic location of electronic devices used to contact us
- Rental charges you incur and other information relating to your transactions
- Information about your credit history from consumer reporting agencies
We collect personal data directly from you when you make a reservation or rent a vehicle, including information you provide:
- When you call our reservation or customer contact numbers
- On our website
- At our rental location
- If you are involved in accident or other such incident
A “cookie” is a set of data which is sent to your computer by our web server and which enables the server to recognise your computer.
Cookies help us collect statistics and improve the quality of your visits to our websites by making the reservation process faster and smoother. The information they provide helps us develop content and features which we think will be of interest to you.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies, but this function can usually be disabled if you wish. Doing so might or might not affect your ability to use a website.
In addition, we may use “pixel tags” or similar technologies that enable us to track your actions as a user of our websites or recipient of our e-mail messages.
Pixel tags are used to collect anonymous data to help us determine popular destinations, average rental prices, quote and conversion rates, click-throughs and other information to improve our service.
We try to ensure secure storage of the personal data we retain about you and that this is as accurate, current and complete as necessary for our purposes of use.
We generally retain your personal data for as long as we believe appropriate for the purposes of the original collection or as otherwise required by applicable law.
As you may be aware, there is no completely secure method of transmitting or storing data. Although their physical characteristics are different, postal mail, telephone calls, text messages, faxes and transmissions over the Internet all present possibilities of loss, misrouting, interception and misuse of the data transmitted.
We aim to maintain appropriate physical, procedural and electronic safeguards to protect your personal data, including:
- Restricting access our employees’ access on a “need to know” basis
- Enforcing policies and procedures for our employees in their handling of personal data
- Using technologies designed to safeguard data during transmission, including SSL encryption for the data you provide on our website.
By making a reservation with us, you consent to our use and disclosure of your personal data for the operational uses listed below. The examples provided below are illustrative and not a complete list of our practices. We would also like to use your data for our marketing purposes.
We will share your personal data among ourselves, to provide services to you, including to:
- Make your rental reservations
- Process your transactions
- Provide you with customer assistance
- Bill and collect amounts owed to us for your rental
- Help us improve our services for customer satisfaction and market research purposes
We will also share your information with companies you use in connection with your rental, including:
- Your credit card provider and other companies that process your charges
- Any company or organisation or other person who is paying your rental charges
- Any intermediary you use, such as a travel agent or broker, in relation to your rental
- Any operator of a membership programme for which you are rewarded for renting with us, such as an Automobile Club or Association.
We may use and disclose your personal data as we believe appropriate, in compliance with applicable law, to protect our business. For example, we may share your personal data with credit reporting and fraud checking agencies. We may also share your data with organisations such as debt collections agencies to enforce the rental agreement and recover any monies due.
In addition, we may share your personal data for legal reasons, including:
- Co-operating with law enforcement agencies, to identify individuals who may be involved in illegal activities
- Responding to governmental and administrative bodies in relation to charges arising during the rental, such as parking and traffic fines, tolls and congestion charges
- To comply with applicable law.
We may use others as our agents to act on our behalf and assist us in the conduct of our business, performing services for us under our instruction. These services may include hosting certain websites or databases, running promotions for us, carrying out data analysis and conducting customer satisfaction surveys or other research. We will require our agents to maintain appropriate security standards to protect your personal data and use the data only for the purposes we specify.
Disclosure for corporate transactions
We may disclose your personal data to other companies in relation to the sale, merger or transfer of one of our businesses to enable the other company to decide whether to proceed with the transaction. If the transaction is completed, the other company will be required to observe the relevant provisions of this policy with respect to the data provided.
We may aggregate your personal data and use this to develop targeted marketing programmes and service offerings that we believe may be of interest to you. We will send these to you by email or by mail.
Access to personal information
We will take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up to date. If your personal details change, such as your address or phone number, please contact us to update your details, by following this link contact us. Following a request from you, we will provide you with a copy of any personal information which we hold about you in accordance with our obligations under the Privacy Act. We undertake to promptly acknowledge and investigate any complaint about the way we manage your personal information.